Cottage Potato Latkes
- 10 min
- 17 min
- ¾ cup Whipped Friendship Dairies® cottage cheese
- 4 cups peeled and shredded white potatoes
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 4-6 tbsp. vegetable oil
- In a colander, add the potatoes and strain the liquid out by pressing the back of a large spoon against them. Push down with a paper towel to soak up any additional liquid.
- In a food processor, pulse the onion until very finely minced. Then add the cottage cheese, salt and pepper, and continue to blend.
- In a large bowl, add the potatoes, cottage cheese and onion, flour, chives and egg. Toss well.
- Heat a large pan over medium/high heat. Add two tablespoons of the vegetable oil to coat the bottom. Take a palm-size scoop of mixture and flatten loosely in your hand, about the size of a flattened ping-pong ball. Drop into hot oil using a spoon. Cook for about 3½ minutes per side until the edges are golden brown. Remove from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Repeat this procedure with the remaining vegetable oil and potato mixture. Serve with sour cream, chipotle mayo or applesauce.